Reply Comments on the CPUC OIR to Continue Electric Integrated Resource Planning and Related Procurement Processes
On June 30, the CHBC submitted comments to the CPUC regarding the OIR to Continue Electric Integrated Resource Planning and Related Procurement Processes. The CHBC outlined the following points in its comments:
- Agree with several parties who commented that hydrogen energy storage ought to be prioritized as part of integrated resource planning because it is important and economical long duration storage resource and means of integrating variable renewable generation.
- Agree with parties, such as CESA, that there ought to be a procurement mechanism for hydrogen storage included in a balanced planning strategy.
- Support EDF’s call for zero carbon fuels, including renewable hydrogen and its derivatives, to be included in planning as a clean firm power resource.
- Agree with SoCalGas that long term planning through 2045, including a high hydrogen scenario, should be maintained, as we believe this encourages critical innovation, research and development, and the holistic and thoughtful vision that will ensure long term goals of SB 100 and state carbon neutrality policy are successfully met.
- CHBC believes BAC’s comment regarding the need to factor wildfire related issues into resource planning ought to be heeded, including considering the role that technologies such as renewable hydrogen can play in the state’s wildfire strategy.